Pilgrimage to Lough Derg

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Adoremus, Jun 3, 2015.

  1. padraig

    padraig Powers

    I am so glad to here from you Julia. Did you get many graces?
     
  2. Julia

    Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

    Did you know there is a little Chapel as you enter the Island of Lough Derg which is a copy of the Chapel Saint Francis rebuilt called Our Lady of the Angels. I was delighted and gobsmacked to see it.

    Inside on your right as you enter there is a beautiful cabinet which holds the relics of nearly 100 saints including Saint Patrick. What a blessing. I said a little prayer to Saint Patrick while there after all the penance to tell him personally how sorry I am about the state of things in Ireland. And to ask him to pray for us.
     
    Patty likes this.
  3. Julia

    Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

    Did I get graces Padraig?. Well to tell you the truth, being old and infirm, by the Monday I was in that much back pain I nearly passed out.

    I got max pain killers from the chemist and 'Deep Heat' muscle rub and that got me back on track. I'm ok now thank God. But I would not have missed the pilgrimage for anything in the world.

    That said, the Lord sent lovely weather, so the beds were not dangerous, thank God.
    The fast was a doddle, and I was always used to working hard so the penance was not too hard at all. Staying awake one night was not so bad. How many parents and carers know what it is to lose a nights sleep.

    I felt from the get go a joy that must have seemed silly to everyone but me.

    I was as happy as someone on a trip to Disneyworld. LOL, still am.

    Would I do it again. See how the health is next year. On the other hand, a couple or more kind young people told me while we were in the smoking hut that they had secretly shadowed me, they were worried I would hurt myself. Must have looked like I needed help. I felt a bit guilty because it could have spoiled their pilgrimage if they were concentrating on me without me even realising. But bless them for their kind concerns.
     
  4. maryrose

    maryrose Powers

    Well done all of you I had hoped to go but didn't feel up to it in the end and also many family commitments. I went to Knock today and it was really wonderful.
     
    Border collie likes this.
  5. padraig

    padraig Powers

    You have a heart like a lion and a great attitude. It nearly killed me.

    I admire John very much for going back for a second go.

    [​IMG]
     
  6. Thanks Padraig, and to be honest I went against my feet (excuse the pun) right up to the moment I got on the boat, but I felt a prompting to go, not understanding why.
    But like I mentioned on another thread, I feel Our Lady has since given me a deep love for the place, and I can't wait to return next year God willing.
     
    josephite, Amazing Grace and Julia like this.
  7. Bartimaeus

    Bartimaeus Archangels

    Nutter!
    If ever a thread showed what a bunch of fruit cakes we are, well this is it! Its the same island and the same penance for everyone, but its different for everyone.
    This was my third year and if it was an exam I'd say i failed - sitting ona sunny bench for a couple of hours on the second day was never going to end well, or awake.
    Isn't it great that a bunch of sinners like us can be so close to the saints by finding joy on such a pilgrimage.
    Nutters one and all.:)
     
    josephite, Julia and Border collie like this.
  8. They say knowledge is power, I'm glad somebody has finally diagnosed me with a name.. Nutter is good!! See you there next year Bartimaeus lol:D
     
    josephite likes this.
  9. Julia

    Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

    While we're talking about nutters LOL

    Here's a few confessions of a pilgrim.

    I am a smoker. I did not let on how scared I was, thinking there would be no smoking allowed. But trusted the Lord to see me through what seemed like a daunting obstacle to making this pilgrimage. It was ok to smoke.

    Then at the last minute, well the Saturday afternoon 3 days before I was due to set off on pilgrimage. Out of the blue I got shooting pains in my left lower leg. Along with burning and swelling on the ankle. I thought it is all over, no pilgrimage for me; but not to give up. Phoned the out of hours doctor people and told them what was going on. They said it is best to come for emergency consultation. So at 11.30pm that Saturday night I was seen by a doctor who prescribed anti biotics for an infection in my lower leg. The course finished 7 days later on Saturday to complete the Lough Derg pilgrimage.

    I kept it a secret from everyone because even my own family would have sat on me to stop me from my goal of making that reparation to God and Saint Patrick and our fathers in faith, for the horror of the Irish vote.

    I am glad I did it, and know if there are graces attached to Lough Derg, I wanted nothing for myself out of it. All for the Glory of God, and Saint Patrick, my hero. Amen.
     
  10. Roger Buck

    Roger Buck Principalities

    I was grateful to read all this, as I have not been yet. Frankly, at nearly 52 and bad shape compared to my youth, it scares me to death. But I hope to start with the one day next year. This thread encourages! Particularly this:

     
    Julia, josephite and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Indy

    Indy Praying

    I pray that I will get there next year. You just know when there are some places on this earth where we are meant to go at some point.
     
    Julia and josephite like this.
  12. I'm looking forward to going next year please God, hopefully some of us can do it together.
     
    Julia, josephite, Indy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Julia

    Julia Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

    Well, now I know it is not about prayer but a prayerathon, I could think about making it again.

    I said the first days stations that slow, I think everyone was gone to bed before I finished. LOL

    What I was doing wrong was saying the decades of the Rosary with meditation. Then I realised that is not how it works. So, I started saying decades as prescribed and I got to pray as fast as everyone else. LOL

    See what next year brings.

    Hope the Synod does not put me back in penitential mode. :eek:
     
    josephite likes this.
  14. Looking forward to seeing you again Julia:p
     
    Julia and josephite like this.
  15. Bartimaeus

    Bartimaeus Archangels

    just putting it out there again....anyone for black tea and toast?
     
    Julia likes this.
  16. padraig

    padraig Powers

    I so admire people who go to Lough Derg. Great corage.

    Maybe Knock this time:)
     
    Julia likes this.
  17. josephite

    josephite Powers

    I wish I lived in Ireland.
    You are all wonderful!!!

    I live in protestant Australia, :sick: and am looked upon by fellow Australians as abnormal,:cautious: even for saying the odd prayer:sneaky:
     
    Julia likes this.
  18. padraig

    padraig Powers


    Perhaps some at least admire and respect you secretly.
     
    josephite and Julia like this.
  19. CrewDog

    CrewDog Guest

    I
    I'd bet Protestant Australia beats Protestant Arkansas! At least Ya don't have to drive 70 miles to buy a case of beer :LOL: ...... I live in a Dry County named after an Irishman too ... General Patrick Cleburne!! .... Considering what's goin'-on in the USA, I'd bet the good general is spinnin' in his grave?:mad:
    I don't worry about what Protestants think ... we will all be in the same Foxhole soon enough! It will be work together or perish .. just as I suspect The Lord's Planning!

    GOD SAVE ALL HERE!!
     
    josephite and Julia like this.
  20. I hope to do it again this year if I am able. The 3 day season runs from June to Aug 15th as far as I know. :)
     
    josephite, Julia and Amazing Grace like this.

Share This Page