I intend to be at the reception building around 1.30-2pm on Monday, hopefully I will see some of you guys there! I was also asked if it is a silent retreat? It is not, but given the nature of the programme on the island and the mental challenge of focusing on the set prayers and also focusing on what sharp stone not to step on, conversation may not be foremost in one's mind! Although there are times of rest in between and an opportunity to get to know people.
Hi Mario, we stay awake all of the first night, all through the 2nd day until 10 pm as far as I remember, and up again early on the 3rd day and finish the remaining beds and home around LUNCHtime, oops I shouldn't have mentioned that word cos people will be fasting!!
It is the strangest, most wonderful place. It is a very good time for a retreat the way things are at the moment.May God surprise us all with graces.
I will, I am quite excited about it now MAry. It is a great Spiritual Adventure. I feel Our Lady's and St Jospehs presence very close already.
Oh Padraig, don't forget to say a little prayer and let Saint Patrick know how sorry we are for letting him down with the Irish vote. He must have his head hung in shame up there in Heaven right now. For God and Saint Patrick and Erin's green Isle. God grant you all a blessed visit to purgatory.
I have booked and paid to get there for 13th to 15th August. Still got details to sort like somewhere to sleep in Lough Derg area when I get there after about 36 hours of travelling. Before starting the pilgrimage. I did not get the information I needed in time for tomorrow. I would have needed to leave home yesterday, Saturday to be there for Monday.
If you look up the lough derg website Julia, they give a list of local accommodation. Try to be well rested before you go to the island.
I heard from Michael, thank you. Sorry, I have been away for a few days with family, so only just saw your post. Hopefully all set for August 13th to15th with the help of God.
I never had such an experience of the presence of the Holy Souls. There seemed to be thousands of them on the island At one point I saw the Basilica full of them and I saw them clustered in spots where the pilgrims did penance many of them wearing old clothes of generations past. For instance I saw an old lady in a shawl with long skirts. They must have been in purgatory for a very,very long time some of them. ..and form the dark Lough in the waters I heard the crying and lamented of thousands of souls deeper in purgatory waiting their turn to ascend to the island. It was very moving and touching...
That's interesting. Of course Lough Derg was known as a purgatorial island that had a cave that was an entrance to the underworld. So no pain no gain. Worth a visit then for the Holy Souls.